On this page we offer the most recent information on the requirements for portfolio submissions and the admission exam to our class. Due to the current circumstances, we ask you to visit this page regularly to stay up to date.
It is not necessary to have passed the Austrian higher secondary school leaving examination (Matura).
The admission exam will be held in German. In exceptional cases, applicants can also take the exam in English.
Structure of the admission exam 2022:
Part 1 – Submission of portfolio (online):
• Submission of the application with work and work samples.
• Selection of candidates for Part 2.
Part 2 – Exam (online):
• Exam with theoretical and practical tasks.
• Interview with teaching staff of the class.
• Selection of candidates who qualify to start their studies in Klasse für Ideen in October 2022
Information to Part 1 – Submission of portfolio:
• Short letter of application / motivation
• Work and work samples: self-initiated, artistic and applied projects in the field of design and communication. Observations, concepts and ideas, expressed in appropriate techniques and disciplines such as typography and layout, logos, business cards, posters, magazines, drawings, printmaking, photography, painting, film, text, online work, etc.
• References / marks / credentials (copies only)
Procedure for submitting the portfolio
• Modality and submission deadline: The first step is the registration and submission of the portfolio in digital form from 12.1.2022 till 28.1.2022, 12noon (CET).
• Technical specifications: Upload a presentation in PDF format (max. 50 MB)
• If films are part of the portfolio, we ask you to present extracts from them as stills / screenshots and to make the actual film available to us as a separate link.
• Due to the high number of applications, we ask for a clearly structured and quickly comprehensible form of the portfolio.
Further information and the registration link can be found on the Angewandte website:
Invitation to Part 2 – Exam:
After our jury has examined the portfolios, a selection of applicants will be invited to an examination and an interview. All of the applicants will be notified until 4.2.2022 if they are eligible for Part 2. If you receive an invitation for Part 2 the following applies:
Information to Part 2 – Exam:
• Exam week: 21–25 February 2022.
The exam takes place exclusively online, more specifically via email and Zoom. Please familiarise yourself with the technologies and if possible do not schedule any additional appointments for the entire week. Access to a stable internet connection, participation in Zoom meetings and the ability to digitise analogue work (scanner and / or camera – such as in mobile phones) during the exam week are required. The exact schedule and further details will be sent with the invitation to Part 2. From this point on, we are also available for detailed technical questions.
We will offer portfolio reviews as part of the ditigtal Open House.
For further information and a selection of exemplary tasks to get prepared for our examination, please download the following files. If you have any other queries concerning your application, portfolio or examination procedures, please refer to our list of FAQs.
last update: 24.1.2022